Wednesday 6 March 2013

An Interview with Huw Ware Darts Referee




An Interview with the Darts Referee Huw Ware.


Huw is a record breaker in his own right, being the youngest ever referee at the age of 18. Huw is a proud Welshman from Glamorgan.





1: So Huw, How did you find out about being a caller/referee?


When I started playing darts I found the numbers all clicked together in my head quite quickly as I was throwing. So during a Glamorgan Youth V Seniors friendly when the regular caller didn't turn up, I volunteered to help out. I ended up staying on there all day, and became the regular County caller soon after. Fast forward a couple of years and I was given a trial run at the Welsh Open in Prestatyn, then got the call to go to the World Masters, then onto Lakeside!



2: How long have you been doing it for?

I've been doing it since mid-2009, so coming up for 4 years now.




3: What’s your favourite Darts tournament?

They're all great - I love the TV tournaments, for everything that comes with them, while I also love the running of the floor events.




4: What’s been your Darting highlight?

Without a doubt becoming the youngest referee ever to officiate a World Championship final in 2013.




5: Have you got any ambitions?

To become as good a referee as I possibly can be.




6: Are you any good at darts?

I was (emphasis on was!). I was picked for Wales Youth in the Europe Cup and the first Youth Home Internationals, both in 2011. So 2011 was a defining year for me really in darting terms because I did that, then in September I had my refereeing TV debut at the Winmau World Masters.




7: If you could have your own walk-on music, what would it be?

One Vision by Queen. Queen are my favourite band and it would be a great track to get the crowd going. Also I suppose with the One Vision of winning! Maybe we should call it "Double-One Vision" in my case!



8: What would you Darting nickname be?

"Tupper"! For obvious reasons!! Huw "Tupper" Ware!



9: Tell me something we don’t know about you?

I'm a big football fan. I'm a massive Manchester United supporter - at the time of answering we're about 2 hours away from the second leg of the Real Madrid clash. Nervous already!



11: What do you like to do in your spare Time, if you have any?

I like to work out at my local gym. I started that at the back end of last year and enjoy it. Aside from that listening to music and watching the tele (typical student!).



12: Any advice for someone wanting to get involved in being a caller?

I think if you show good enthusiasm for wanting to be a caller (be it at County, or just down the local pub) then you will get the opportunity. I think there's a lot more to refereeing than just adding up the numbers. Obviously that's the most important thing, but it's also about the style, the presence, the authority etc. As you grow accustomed to it as you do more matches you'll have the chance to develop it and cultivate your voice as well. Also don't panic at any point when you're up there, be it when you're calling the first leg of your very first match, or if a score throws you, or during the closing stages of a particularly tense match, just keep composed.



14: Do you go all over the world or just stay in Britain?

I haven't done any international tournaments as of yet, but I would love to in the future.




Many thanks to Huw for doing this, it was a pleasure and i wish him all the success in the future.

This interview was done by Richard on the 5th of March 2013.







 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment