Monday 1 April 2013

An Interview With The Bullet Stephen Bunting

This is an interview with Stephen 'the Bullet' Bunting.




Stephen has had a fantastic 12 months winning the Isle of Man open, Winmau world masters, Mariflex open and the Zuiderduin masters among others. He hot property in the BDO at the moment, so i got in contact with him to find out a bit more.




1. When did you start playing darts? When did it start getting ‘serious’?

I started playing darts when i was 11 years old, my dad was a local league player and i got into throwing with him at home. He then pushed me to join Merseyside Youth team which is how i gradually got better. Then my dad said he would sponsor me for some of the competitions, which is how i gradually got better and then my dad said he would sponsor me for some of the competitions. I started going in the Welsh open youth and Belgium open youth and entering small mens comps locally.  


2. How did you and Nevada come about?

I first met Jon from Nevada at the Q School whilst watching. We had a really good chat and came to a agreement regarding sponsorship. Team Nevada is fantastic, and i look forward to a long and glorious career with them steering me to success.  


3. Who do you play your non BDO darts for?

I play locally for St Agnes in Huyton on a Monday and Tuesday.     





 

4. You have had a fantastic season so far. Any major ambitions?

My major ambition is to stay BDO #1 and to become the Lakeside World Champion. I would also like to retain my Winmau and Zuiderduin titles.



5. What’s your favourite tournament?

My favourite Tv tournament has to be Lakeside. Its such a special venue and even when it is empty, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. My favourite floor tournament has to be the Dutch open. Just the sheer size of the venue and the amount of entires makes a fantastic spectacle.
 
 

6. Describe your throw in 3 words.

FAST, DEADLY, ACCURATE!     








7. What was the highlight of 2012?

My highlight of 2012 was winning my first Major TV title. The Winmau World Masters. Such a fantastic tournament and you only need to look at its history and the past players who have graced the title its amazing and the moment will live long in my memory.



8. What do you do to relax away from darts?

I like to watch football, Play on PS3 and Laptop, Snooker and Pool. Just basically chill out without a dart in sight.



9. Tell me something we don’t know about you?

I reached Judo Brown Belt when i was younger!I am not a bad singer on karaoke!
I have a 7 month old son named Toby!
I have 2 dogs (Bischon Friise), 2 Canaries, and a tank full of Tropical Fish and soon to add Chickens to my collection...
 






10. Do you have any darts weaknesses?

Not that i would tell anyone reading this lol. Maybe i throw a bit too fast sometimes. 


11. Whats your walk-on tune and why? If not that, what else would you walk on tune be?

Bullet in the Gun - simply because my nickname is the Bullet and its a catchy tune with great lyrics. If not that it would have to be the Family Guy theme as a lot of people say i look like Peter Griffin Lol



12. Do you take much notice of the social media side of darts i.e.: Twitter, Face book etc

I do, I like to keep very active on my facebook and Twitter. Sometimes i can gain exhibition work through such sites. Its a good way to keep my fans upto date of what i am doing also.

 

13. When your not playing do you enjoy watching any other players play? Who?

Chizzy (because he is so naturally talented and is a good friend)Phil Taylor (because he really is that good)
Michael van Gerwen (Because he is playing so well at the min)
 





14. What darts do you use?

http://www.a180.co.uk/product.php?xProd=3941





15. Do you have any Darting heroes?

I guess so. growing up when i used to watch i liked the following. Kevin Kenny (a merseyside great who reached the semi's of lakeside a few times) Phil Taylor (just basically for everything he has done and acheived in darts)



 
16. Team Nevada has been tagged the ‘Young Guns’ , A good description?

I would say so, although i think the last two signings myself and Jim Walker mayslightly go away from that. But i am still only 27 (28 next week) and in darts terms i would say that is a very young age.


 


A big thank you to Stephen for doing this interview and also to Jon Archer for setting it up.




This interview was done through email on 29th of March 2013. 

1 comment:

  1. dont knock us old dogs yet theres still a few old guys who can throw the tungsten -WATCH OUT THERES A HURRICANE ABOUT (KEV HILL)

    ReplyDelete