Wednesday 19 February 2014

An Interview With PDC Player Peter 'The Rock' Hudson




Peter 'Rock' Hudson is an English darts player from Eccles, Greater Manchester. Hudson joined the PDC in 2010. Peter earned a full PDC Pro Tour card for the 2011 and 2012 seasons via the PDC's Qualifying School. This is just a quick interview to get to know him.



When did you start playing darts?

Played now and again from about the age of 10, but only now and again, was more interested in other sports/activity's at that age. Started playing for a Pub team at 16, on the Manchester Board (Log end).





 When did it start getting ‘serious’?

October/November 2009 I played in my First 2 serious tournaments, The Lancashire Open and The British Open, then in January 2010 started in the PDC.





What darts do you use?

24g Phil Taylor purist phase 2 (Unicorns)





Who do you play your non PDC darts for?

The Ellesmere Inn (Log end) in Winton and I'm in my first season of 501 and I play for The Borough Social in Swinton.





What darting ambitions do you have?

Well it's everyone's dream to be a World Champion and be as high as they can in the rankings, but I just want to play how I know I can, I haven't done it yet but... It will come!






What’s your favourite tournament?

I would have to say the UK OPEN, it was my first major event, my first tv appearance was at the uk open and after being 3-0 down I won 4-3 and hit a 10 dart leg in the decider. Also being from Salford, Greater Manchester the venue was really close for me and I was able to take lots of fans with me to The Reebok which made it all the more enjoyable, shame it's moved for this year! Lol.





Describe your throw in 3 words.

Solid, Steady, Uncomplicated





What was the highlight of 2012?

Qualifying for the 2013 World Championship after a consistent 2012.





What do you do to relax away from darts?

I enjoy a good movie, music, I like to have a game of snooker, I play for a pool team, spending time with my family and to be more precise my young nephew who keeps me busy on the few days I'm at home and not away at darts.





Tell me something we don’t know about you?

I am thin really, it's just an illusion! Lol, I can't think of anything to be honest, nothing interesting or exciting anyway, sorry!





Do you have any darts weaknesses?

I don't practise nearly enough. I'm not always the most positive person and I can be to harsh on myself and get agitated too quickly when I know I'm not doing what I'm capable of.





Whats your walk-on tune and If not that what else would you walk on tune be?

Lately I have been walking out to - Queen - We will rock you! As for another song, I can't think of one, I'm not really to bothered about the walk on music, anything will do.





Do you take much notice of the social media side of darts i.e: Twitter, Facebook etc

I tend to keep reasonably up to date, I don't go out of my way looking for things but I'm on Twitter and Facebook and generally you get told or notice things whether it's a general darts point or something more personal. I look at the dart forums only occasionally.





When your not playing do you enjoy watching any other players play? Who?

I enjoy watching darts full stop, lots of others don't watch if there not playing but besides playing darts I'm a fan as well, just like everyone else. If I was to pick a player to watch? Well besides the obvious in Taylor, MVG, Lewis, Barney etc over the years I have enjoyed watching Dennis Priestley, everything about his throw, ability, concentration, grit, will to win and the way he conducted himself just said - Sheer Class!





Do you have any darting heroes?

Not heroes as such but when I can first remember watching darts Mr's Priestley and Taylor were winning there BDO titles and then starting there PDC dominance so they were my earliest darts tv memories so you'd always look up to them.






Have you always wanted to be a darts pro? If you hadn’t of been that what would you be doing now?

No I have not always wanted to be a darts pro, not because I didn't want to do it but I just never thought it would happen so subsequently I didn't even think of  it, it just happened by chance and all of a sudden. What would I be doing if not? It would probably be some manual job, I used to Make Pine furniture and maybe would have continued that but I've done lots of little jobs but I'm not sure really.






Do you enjoy the practice side of darts?

Yes and No, if I'm practising with someone else or multiple others absolutely yes, I'd play all day but have a throw by myself no! I get bored and distracted to easily and generally don't concentrate enough and tend to give up, I know I shouldn't but I do.






Do you have any funny printable darts stories you can tell me?

Blimey I've got lots that can't go to print but not really many clean ones other than when my slight slender athletic frame broke two plastic chairs during one afternoons play in Derby, as you can imagine I was extremely embarrassed but I'm still sure to this day the second chair was a set up and was already dodgy! Lol. After the second chair broke people were taking no chances and I was then given a Metal framed chair from the bar. #redfaced!





If you could change the outcome of a match you have played in what would it be?

The outcome of a game would be a Euro Tour event in Austria when I played Ronnie Baxter and I was averaging well over 100 at 5-3 up and missed 3 darts to win 6-3 and then got beat 6-5 with Ronnie averaging 102 as mine fell to 96. Performance wise it would be my game in the 2013 world championship against James Wade, James is an awesome dart player but I never turned up at all and made it easy for him and I was gutted with the way I played. My performance there really upset me!





A big thank you to Peter for doing this interview, it was a pleasure.



This interview was done by Richard on 19th of February 2014.



No comments:

Post a Comment